Who we are
Dr. Melissa Jones began the Northern Nevada Smile for a Lifetime Chapter in 2012 as a pay-it-forward program to give smiles to deserving youth who become ambassadors for spreading joy and serving others. Our intent is that year after year, our scholarship graduates will succeed in achieving their own life goals and continue to look for ways to make their community better.
This chapter is part of a national, charitable, 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose members offer orthodontic scholarships to individuals who may not otherwise have the opportunity to acquire assistance. Scholarship winners demonstrate a desire and need for orthodontic treatment as well as financial or family circumstances that prevent them from having access to care.
Each Smile for a Lifetime chapter has its own Board of Directors who review the applications and select six scholarship winners each year. Three smile scholarships are offered at Carson City Orthodontics every Spring and Fall (applications are due March 15th and September 15th). Take a look at the application and guidelines below and please email or call us if you have any questions. Good luck and let's spread the message to Smile... and Feel Good!
Smile for a Lifetime Participation Guidelines
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should be from a teacher, community leader, guidance counselor, dentist, etc. Letters should not be from family members.
- Two 5X7 photos of applicant. One photo should be a head shot showing a full smile and the teeth and one photo should show only the applicant's teeth. The photos must be clear.
- Must complete answers for all the questions on the application.
- Must provide a copy of the applicant's last report card or school transcript.
- Must agree to follow the treatment plan and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time.
- Must agree to see their dentist every six months.
- May have a family income of no more than 200% percent of poverty level, (If applicant qualifies for free or reduced price school lunch, they would meet the financial qualifications).
- Must be between the ages of 11 and 17.
- Must be a resident within 60 miles of Carson City.
- Must have a significant aesthetic need for braces.
- Must demonstrate current volunteer involvement in the community
- Must complete 18 hours of community service over the course of treatment.
- Must have a positive attitude.
Application essays must be completed by the applicant only. Essays that are completed by someone else other than the applicant will be disqualified. Return completed application to:
Carson City Orthodontics
Attn: Smile for a Lifetime
3790 Hwy 395 S. Ste 406
Carson City, NV 89705
*If you wish to email digital photos separate from the applications, you may send them to email@example.com. Please include the applicant's name in your message.
**Your application, letters of reference and pictures will not be returned to you and will become property of Northern Nevada Smile for a Lifetime Foundation.
***In addition to the application, letters of reference and pictures, applicants have the option to submit a video (i.e. YouTube, etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org about why you want to be offered an orthodontic scholarship.
****Applications that are incomplete or do not meet the criteria above will not be voted on by our Board of Directors. Our Board of Directors meets biannually to make their selections. Please note that Dr. Jones and staff do not serve on the Board of Directors or choose the recipients of the orthodontic scholarships.